MS Outlook is built for personal and business use; where people can send/ receive mails, schedule their appointments and even maintain their day to day activities. Since Outlook stores all these details in one folder named as PST folder, sometimes you may experience problems while accessing Outlook. For instance, Outlook refuses to open or you may encounter some error messages like:
- “The operation failed. An object could not be found”
- “Errors have been detected in the <path to pst-file>.”
- “Outlook data file cannot be accessed”, “Cannot send this item”
- The file <path to pst-file> is not an Outlook data file (.pst).
Apart from above mentioned scenarios, you may come across various other issues associated with PST file. To know more have a look at the end of this page. All the above situations make you annoyed as you cannot access Outlook data. However, Outlook has an Inbox Repair Tool called scanpst.exe to identify and handle problems related to PST issues. A common need for running this tool is when Outlook refuses to load or is not willing to open a PST-file and displays an error similar as above.
So, how to use Inbox Repair Tool?
- Close Outlook application and locate Inbox Repair Tool.
- After locating, double click on icon and select PST file which you want to repair.
- Start scanning the file, if any errors are found then click Repair button.
- After completion of repair process, you’ll get the “Repair complete”
But, since this tool works on the original corrupt PST file, so if it fails to fix Outlook problems, then the PST file may further get modified. Furthermore, ScanPST file location differs for different Outlook versions. In case of Outlook 2007, to use ScanPST you have to search manually to locate Scanpst.exe and from Outlook 2010 onwards, Scanpst.exe runs automatically.
However, ScanPST suggests you to scan entire PST file repeatedly until it says there are no more errors in the PST file. But, sometimes even after running scanpst.exe repeatedly, the errors may not be fixed and it may fail to repair Outlook account completely.
What can be done when Microsoft Inbox Repair Tool fails?
In certain situations it is better to go for an alternate inbox repair tool like Remo Repair Outlook (PST) which helps to fix all the issues related to Outlook PST file even when Scanpst.exe fails. The application is designed to fix your corrupt PST file securely without losing any of your Outlook data.
Remo Repair Outlook (PST):
With the assistance of Remo Repair Outlook, fixing Outlook PST file issues are easy. No matter whether your PST file is highly encrypted or password protected, all problems of PST file will be fixed efficiently. The tool scans your entire PST file and generates a new PST file. The most notable feature of this tool is, it doesn’t modify original PST file, but reads data & creates a new healthy file.
This software you can even recover your Outlook attributes such as emails, contact list, notes, tasks, notes, journal entries etc. In addition, if you are facing indexing issues on Outlook or if instant search is not working, this tool helps you to fix them easily.
- Can even recover emails after Outlook crash or when Outlook is not responding
- Repair oversized PST files which gets corrupt when it exceeds size more than its limit
- Provides two options for scanning the PST file depending on the severity of corruption, one is “Normal Scan” that is used for minor PST file corruption and other is “Smart Scan” which is used when PST file is severely corrupted
- Compatible with all latest versions of Windows OS like Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 etc.
Common reasons behind corruption of PST file
Oversized PST: If your PST file stores Outlook data more than its size limit, then the file becomes oversized leading to Outlook data file corruption (in Outlook 2003 and earlier version)
Improper Termination of Outlook: PST file may get corrupted, if you terminate MS Outlook application abruptly when the process like updating, synchronizing files, etc. are still in progress
Unreliable Third Party Tool: If you use an unreliable tool for exporting or importing Outlook PST file to a new environment, then there is more chance of PST file corruption
Improper up-gradation of Outlook Application – you may upgrade your Outlook version to take full benefits of the new version. While upgrading any interruption occurs or if you follow improper steps then there is a chance of PST file corruption.